A selection of material about the importance of geothermal for our heating and cooling needs.
- The International Ground Source Heat Pump Association
- EnergySage article about costs and benefits of geothermal heat pumps
- A scientific paper about geothermal systems in cold climates
- An explainer on LEED, a standard for buildings
Here’s a good summary of the situation in Philadelphia. Several of our own members have been quoted within.
HEET (Home Energy Efficiency Team), located in Boston
- Jan 2020 WBUR article about HEET and Eversource (gas utility) came to work together
- Many slides for HEET and Eversource can be viewed at the Boston Green River Commission presentation
Considering doing a geothermal project?
We believe these drillers and contractors may be available to help you with a geothermal installation in the Philadelphia area. We provide their names and contact information for informational purposes only. We do not endorse any particular company and remind you to do your own vetting. If you come across additional vendors please send us their information for inclusion on this page.
We recommend doing your project with an IGSHPA accredited installer. You can verify status by using the https://igshpa.org/ Business Directory. Note that many installers will travel from outside the Philadelphia area for residential installation (more so for commercial installations).
Some notes when using the IGSHPA Business Directory.
- Search the Certified Individual Directory.
- Search by selecting: Accredited Installer –yes
- IGSHPA appears to be working on the new directory search capability and it doesn’t include contact information in the search results. Also try their old site:
- For “Certified Professionals,” select “Accredited Installer”
- Allied well drilling: https://www.alliedwells.com/
- AmeriDrill: https://www.drillingcompanypa.com/
- CW Cook: http://www.cwcookinc.com
- Morrison Inc: https://morrisongeothermal.com/
- Myers Bros: https://myersbroswells.com/geothermal-loops/
- Powell: https://powellpumpandwell.com/
Here’s a fun TED talk on what it takes to keep a room at room temperature
Geothermal for kids to young adults
- Interested in training to join the geothermal industry? Check out this post!
Resources for Teachers
Information on Grant Opportunities
Page last updated: 3-10-2022